Saturday, September 21, 2013

What I Want my Sisters to Know About Babywearing

I want my sisters to know that Babywearing is a WONDERFUL thing- for babies, mommies, daddies, grandparents, and aunts & uncles! There are a lot of benefits that have been noted for babies who are worn regularly- the Dr. Sears website has a good list HERE which includes things like security, socialization, and learning. I just recently discovered an article by Dr. Andrew Dodge called Benefits of Babywearing vs. Carseat carrying on the Onya Baby website and I highly recommend it.

I also want to share some important safety information because, unfortunately, there are some methods of babywearing that are fairly common but that I would recommend against.

This will involve some information on babies' spines. Much of this information was inspired by THIS article and THIS article (I recommend checking them out). 

Babies' spines start out with only two curves, the adult spine has four. Rochelle L. Casses notes regarding the two additional curves that develop 
"The curve in the cervical spine develops as the child begins to lift his head and the neck muscles are strengthened. The curve in the lumbar spine results as the child starts to crawl. ... These four curves — two primary and two secondary — are extremely important in the spine (both adult and child), for this is how the body handles the stress of gravity. If these curves do not exist, the body's center of balance is shifted, causing undue stress on the spinal column and spinal cord.
Unfortunately some popular carriers put babies' developing spines under stress.  The (sometimes offensive) slang term for these carriers is "crotch-danglers".  Officially they are usually front carriers that allow the baby's knees to fall below his/her bum.  Here is a picture that I have used without permission from an ebay listing for such a carrier. I have used a red airbrush to show the U-shape formed by the baby's legs and bum.


This U-shape is one of the signs of a carrier that will put undue stress on an infant's spine.

A while back I found (and bookmarked, of course) a fabulous webpage that had a practical how-to guide for recognizing carriers that properly supported babies. Unfortunately when I went back to add it to this post the link was dead. So, to try to re-create their demonstration of a carrier that puts baby's leg in an M-shape (instead of a U-shape) I have used the picture below without permission from another ebay listing. I have added the red airbrush to help show you the shape.


Unfortunately the angle of the camera is not straight-on, but hopefully you get the idea. 

I really loved these photos that allow you a better view of the baby in the ideal positions




These photos were used without permission from this website

TheSchoolOfBabywearing.com has this great pdf with this information on the TICKS rule for safe babywearing:

T: Tight. Baby should be tight to you to prevent slumping.
I: In view at all times. You should always be able to see your baby's face (which is also good for your peace of mind).
C: Close enough to kiss. Baby should be worn high on your body
K: Keep baby's chin off of their chest to prevent positional asphyxia (infants' airways get blocked if their chin gets tucked in their chest), and keep baby's Knees above bum. Fabric should extend from knee to knee, and baby's knees should be higher than their bum.
S: Supported back. Baby's back should be supported in it's natural curve.

An important warning: there is one type of carrier that has been recalled multiple times for infant death and should not be used- it is called a bag sling please check out THIS page explaining how bag slings are dangerous and how to recognize a safe sling (because safe slings are wonderful things). 

Well, I am out of time. But, to sum up, here is a list of links I recommend checking out on the topic of safe babywearing and associated benefits:
P.S. While putting together my links for this post I accidentally ran into this article. I had not been aware of any controversy regarding the term "Babywearing" before, but I am interested in any comments you may have on the subject. (Any comments deemed offensive will be removed).

No comments:

Post a Comment